Jeffrey L. Pollock
The mission of the Law Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esquire, is "to be respected as a professional, competent, prepared, and caring legal advocate both by clients and the lawyers who refer them to me. I understand your problems; I care about them; and I enjoy solving them."
My goal is to create satisfied clients by providing sensitive counsel through the various components of the legal system. I make what could be an intimidating experience a positive one and as inexpensive as possible without jeopardizing the case. My accessibility and educational approach aims to remove an element of fear, create realistic expectations, and ultimately earn trust and confidence. I take pride in my ability to represent different ages and types of clients in various areas of problem prevention and conflict resolution (based on being a trained mediator) including, primarily criminal defense, juvenile and domestic law, as well as other litigation, business, estate planning and probate, collections, and entertainment law.
My mediation practice concentrates primarily in domestic law, but I take advantage of my negotiation and conciliation skills in all areas of my practice. When possible, my clients and I work as a team to settle issues without the stress of trial, the expense of unnecessary depositions or the unpredictability of court.
In the event of a client having limited resources, I can act as a "legal coach", advising them on an as-needed basis at a reduced fee. When necessary, I even customize my service to individual needs, such as making house calls.
I shall achieve my vision by employing these ethics and values: compassion, conscientiousness, confidentiality, courtesy, dignity, excellence, integrity, justice, professionalism, and respect.
Simply put, Jeff Pollock (U. of Pennsylvania, B.A. '84; U. of Pittsburgh Law, J.D. '87) pledges his commitment to excellence and his dedication to client satisfaction, as follows:
I value close, regular, informed communication "in plain English" with my clients.
I value having trusting and confidential relationships with my clients.
I value providing work product that is timely and completed without undue delay.
I value treating each of my clients with the same respect and honesty that I desire.
I value clients who appreciate quality professionalism at a fair price.
In sum, I endeavor to provide cost-effective, conscientious, efficient legal services delivered in a timely manner at a reasonable fee.
I shall try my best to involve you in your case and communicate regularly and without delay. No attorney can promise a particular outcome to your case, but I will try diligently to make you satisfied with my service. I shall use my best efforts to resolve the issue; I became a lawyer to help people.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law and Divorce
- Criminal Defense & DUI Defense
- Juvenile Law
- Entertainment Law
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Civil, Commercial, and Contract Law
- Business Litigation
- Personal Injury Claims
- Unemployment Compensation
- Litigation, Mediation, and Collaborative Law
- 80% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Pennsylvania, 1987
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1987
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1996
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 1987
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- B.A. in Criminology (Wharton School of Finance) - 1984
- Universite de Compiegne, Compiegne, France - 1983
- The ABCs of a Lawyer's Guide to Avoiding Malpractice
- The Criminal Trial From Start to Finish in PA, National Business Institute, September, 2004
- Handling PA Divorce Cases, National Business Institute, October, 2003
- PA Residential and Commercial Landlord & Tenant Law, Sterling Education Services and National Business Institute, January, 2003
- "Young Lawyers' Guide to Ethics & Professionalism", PBA-YLD "AT ISSUE"
- "Young Lawyers' Guide to Ethics & Professionalism", Juris Magazine
- Alpha Data Communications, Inc.
- Hope Real Estate
- Blehmadoo's African Marketplace
- Sports Massage Team, USA, Inc.
- Teletech, Inc.
- Alternative Computer Systems, Inc.
- Regent Square Tavern
- Zell Investments, Inc.
- Equity Home Consultants, Inc.
- Design Landscape Service
- Mohammed's Mosque
- AAuto Motor Exchange Co.
- Actors' Casting, Network, Ltd.
- Keal Cinema, Inc.
- Dreamcatchers, Inc.
- If! Productions
- Hummbugg Entertainment
- CAVU Productions, Inc.
- Hitchcock Hiker Productions
- Western School
- Lecturer and Adviser, "Fatherhood Initiative", Hosanna House, 2003 - Present
- "Preparing for a Custody Trial", NCFC 2002 Convention, 2002
- "Criminal Justice" Course, The Minor Judiciary in PA - Point Park College, 2003
- Landlord & Tenant Law and Ethical Issues, SES and NBI - PA, 2003
- Family Law Roundtable, Neighborhood Legal Services Assn.
- "Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Leave Pittsburgh", Rodef Shalom Synagogue, 1999
- "Nuts & Bolts of Living Wills/Powers of Atty.", Jewish Community Center, 1999
- "The Basics of Landlord and Tenant Law", Carnegie Library, 1999
- "Wills, Living Wills and Powers of Attorney", Beth Shalom Synagogue, 1999
- "3 Weeks of Constitutional Law", Taylor Allderdice High School, 1999
- "5 Days of Criminal Law Primer", Taylor Allderdice High School, 1998
- "Single Father Custody Concerns", PITT Community outreach, 1997
- "Law Career Awareness", Fox Chapel Middle School, 1996
- "Law Careers and Their Preparation", Greenway Middle School, 1995
- "Criminal Law Careers and Their Preparation", Fox Chapel High School, 1993
- "Elderly Parent Concerns", Prudential Employees, 1992
- "Bad Debts", The Signature Group, 1992
- "Choosing a Business Entity", The Signature Group, 1992
- "Wills and Trusts", The Signature Group, 1992
Honors and Awards
- "Legal Leader" Award - Twice, Muscular Dystrophy Association of Western Pennsylvania, 2007-2008
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, One of Pittsburgh's "50 Finest", 2004
- Honoree, Jefferson Award for "Community Champion", 2003
- Michael K. Smith Award for "Excellence in Service to the Public," Pennsylvania Bar Association, 1999
- Approved by Hon. Stanton Wettick as a Special Arbitrator (especially for Landlord-Tenant Cases), 1995 - 1998
- ABA Local Affiliate Award for Member Services, (1st Place), 1997
- U.S. Supreme Court Induction, 1996
- ABA Local Affiliate Award for Public Service (1st Place), 1995
- JCC Presidential Citation, 1992
- Approved as Equitable Distribution and Partial Custody Master, 1991
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Collaborative Law Association of Southwestern Pennsylvania (CLASP), Co-Creator, Co-Founder, and Inaugural Secretary, 2006-Present
- Mediation Council of Western Pennsylvania, Former Board of Directors, 1997-2006
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Family Law Section, Appointed/Elected to Council, 2004-2007
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Bench-Bar Committee, 1992-Present
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Judiciary Committee, 1999-2002
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Board of Governors, 1994-1999
- United Jewish Federation, Chair, Supreme Court Nominee Task Force (Winner of National Grant), 2005
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Member, Speaker's Bureau, 1993-1998
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Nominating Committee, 1995-1998
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Chair, Young Lawyers Division, 1995- 96, '97 - '98
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Ad Hoc Public Relations Committee, 1998
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Finance Committee's Pro Bono Subcommittee, 1996-1997
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Planning Committee, 1997
- Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas, Family Division, Partial Custody Master; Special Arbitrator for Compulsory Arbitration, 1995-1996
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Performer, Players Section, 1989-1995
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Judge Baer's Middle School Peer Court Program, Inaugural Defense Supervisor, 1995
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Secretary, Young Lawyers Division, 1993
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Chair, Young Lawyers' Section, Member Services Committee, 1991-1992
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Public Relations Chair, Legislative Subcommittee, 1992
- Commonwealth Business Exchange-East Networking Group, President, 1991
- Commonwealth Business Exchange-East Networking Group, Vice President, 1990
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Indigent Divorce Program Restructuring Committee, 1990-1992
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Inns of Court, Inaugural Member, 1990
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Founder, Common Pleas Court Judges' Manual, 1995-1997
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Board of Directors, Solo & Small Firm Section, 1993-1995
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Environmental Law, Real Estate & Arts and the Law Committees' Liaison
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Tel-Law Script Reviewer, Ongoing
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Delegate, Zone 12, 1996
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Former Member, Membership and Entertainment Law Committees
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Former Juror, High School Mock Trial Competition
- United Jewish Federation, Newcomers' Outreach Program Creator/Chairman, 1988-1991
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute, NBI, and SES, CLE Seminar Writer/Speaker/Participant/Performer
- JCC Singles, Co-Founder/President, Party Emcee, Responsible for Programming
- JCC Theatre, Chair, 1994-1997
- IACP: International Academy of Collaborative Practitioners, Former Member
- ACBA Softball Champion (SS/3B/LF): 1989, '94-'98, 2001-05, '08-'09
Past Employment Positions
- Pollock & Morella, P.C., Founding Partner, 1991 - 1992
- Law Firm of Feldstein, Grinberg, Stein & McKee, Associate, 1987 - 1989
- Rosenzweig & Burton, Summer Associate, 1986
- United States Attorney's Office, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Law Student Internship - Appellate Special Prosecutions Division, 1986
- Common Pleas Court of Allegheny County, Family Division, Law Clerk, Honorable Lawrence W. Kaplan, 1985
- Career Criminals Selective Prosecution Advisory Committee, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Division, Research Coder, 1984
- Pitt Law Chronicle, University of Pittsburgh, Writer, 1984
- Legal Studies Marketing Internship, 1982
- Frank, Gale, Bails, Murcko and Gubinsky, P.C., Of Counsel
Pro Bono Activities
- Allegheny County Common Pleas Court, Family Division: Volunteer, Indigent Divorce Program, 1992 - 2005
- Allegheny County Common Pleas Court, Family Division: Volunteer, Past "Pro Se" Motions Project Panel
- Allegheny County Common Pleas Court, Family Division: Past Co-Mediator, Generations Custody Program
- Allegheny County Bar Foundation: NLSA/Hill House Family Law Clinics, Volunteer, 1992 - Present
- Project Challenge/NLSA/Legal Aid Society of Pittsburgh, Volunteer, 1993 - Present
- ProArts/GPAC: Volunteer Lawyer for "Starving Artists", 1997 - Present
- YWCA: Past 2nd Saturday Classes and CLE Speaker/Writer - Domestic Relations & Mediation
- "Greenfield Grapevine": Past "Legal Briefs" Columnist, 1998 - 1999
- Allegheny County Bar Foundation, Golf Fundraiser Chair, 2001-05;Committee, 1998 - Present
- Allegheny County Bar Association: Former Chair, Lawyer Referral Service and Disaster Relief Referral Panelist, 2000 - 2003
- United Jewish Federation: Chair, Squirrel Hill Revitalization Project, 2002
- United Jewish Federation: Named to Inaugural Select CPAC Board, 2001
- Allegheny County Bar Association: Co-Chair, President's Ball, 1995 - 1998
- United Jewish Federation: Yom Hashoa Planning Committee, 1998
- United Jewish Federation: Holocaust Commission, 1993 - 1996
- Jewish Community Center: Chair, Theatre Committee, 1992 - 1995
- United Jewish Federation: Super Sunday/Fundfest Chair, 1993 - 1994
- Abraxas Foundation: Cabaret Ball Committee (1992 & 1994)
- Heart Association: Ball Committee, 1993
- Special Olympics: Bachelor(ette) Charitable Fundraising Auction, Co-Creator and Emcee, 1987 - 1989
- American Cancer Society: Event Chairperson, New Directions Committee, 1989
- Leukemia Society: Board of Trustees, Inaugural Gelatin Slide Committee, 1989 - 1994
- Inner City Junior Tennis Development Program: Inaugural Board of Directors, Emcee, 1987 - 1989
- United Jewish Federation: Annual Mitzvah Day and Fundfest Volunteer, 1991 - Present
- United Way: Day of Caring Former Program Coordinator and Participant
- Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition: Former Volunteer and Citizen's Patrol Driver
- Open Stage Theatre: Former Board of Directors
- Greater Pittsburgh Food Bank: Ongoing Volunteer
- Blood Donor for decades until contracting lymphoma (now in remission)
- Committed Trash Recycler
- Shady Side Academy - Class Agent and Alumni Council Member
- St. Edmund's Academy - Class Agent and Alumni Council Member
- Better Business Bureau: Approved as Member in 2005
- ZBT: Former University of Pennsylvania Executive Officer
- Squirrel Hill Meals on Wheels: Board of Trustees, 2009 - Present
- Pittsburgh New Works Festival: Board of Directors, 2009 - Present
- ZOA Pittsburgh Chapter: Board of Directors, Communications/P.R. Chair, 2007 - Present
- Nightwire Magazine: "Ask the Lawyer" Columnist, 2009 - Present